If you're connected to the Internet through your own ISP or LAN, you can
connect to AOL through TCP/IP. To do this;
* Launch the America Online software.
* On the Sign On screen, click Setup. The Connection Setup screen appears.
* Select Setup AOL to sign on from a new location, such as or work, or
through an Internet Service Provider (ISP). Click Next.
* Enter a name in the Name: field, such as TCPIP, then click Next.
* Select Add a TCP connection then click Next. The TCP Connection has
been added message will appear. Click OK. On the AOL Sign On window, choose
the name you entered, from the Select Location: drop-down menu.
After you've changed your AOL setup and location selection, you can sign
onto the America Online service. (Make sure you are still connected to
your ISP or LAN.) Enter your password or sign on as your normally do.
You are probably aware that you can switch off AOLs chirpy announcements
such as You have got pictures by choosing Preference from
the My AOL menu and deselecting Play Event Sounds in the General tab.This
will kill all AOL sounds. However, if you want to keep some of AOL sounds,
open the AOL folder then Online folder and then Sounds folder. Trash the
Sounds you dont want. How about changing those sounds to your favourite
tones? Record a sound as a System 7 , give it a name of a special event
in AOL. Example, You Have Got mail, and replace it with the original AOL
sound file in the Youve got mail file. You can replace all AOL sounds
files this way.